Sunday, December 6, 2009

For the meager but (somewhat) refined palate:

In the past few days I have found myself purchasing a lot of wine. Mostly because everywhere I go seems to have one of my favorite bottles on sale for some remarkable price that I just can't pass up, but also because wine is more than just my drink of choice; it is an obsession. All the varieties of grapes and blends- each possessing it's own distinct flavor and style, its own shade of deep red, smell and texture. The intoxication begins before it even hits my tongue.
Anyone who knows me knows that there are always at least five unopened bottles of wine on my shelves (currently 9) and one open on the counter. I'm not a wino, however, not by any means. In order to properly appreciate anything you have to sustain from it occasionally, and with my ridiculously time consuming job I have to restrain myself Sunday - Thursday night (with occasional exceptions, of course). Thus for the vast majority of the week I wait, with almost unbearable anticipation for that first glass on Friday night.
Because of this, I have become more and more picky about just what kind of wine I get to enjoy. However, with my meager salary I cannot afford much more than $10 bottles. Luckily this is not a problem; I have found many bottles for $13 and under that not only meet the higher standards I try to uphold, but even surpass them. Here's a sampling of some of my favorite steals:

1. Dancing Bull- Cabernet Sauvignon
2. Alamos- Malbec
3. Avalon- Cabernet Sauvignon
4. Pinot Evil- Pinot Noir
5. Chateau Auguste- Bourdeaux
6. Albero- Tempranillo
7. Cycles Gladiator- Syrah
8. Luzon- Jumilla

Enjoy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Julia,

So nice to see that our Cycles Gladiator Syrah made your list of favorite wines. We try hard to produce great wine at an affordable price, so it's always a pleasure to hear we've succeeded.

Cheers!
Brandye Alexander
Marketing Department
Hahn Family Wines

Unknown said...

I didn't know you like the Luzon. Last year's was better, but I still like.

Unknown said...

Excellent choices Julia.