Friday, April 9, 2010

The Times They Are a-Changin'

Today I am two days shy of running a marathon with hip bursitis (http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00409), which basically means I can still run, but I will be in pain the whole time. Also, I find myself racing towards the end of the school year- not my own school year, but my first year of teaching. Every moment seems both eternal and short, and everything tastes bittersweet. Though I am not typically a religious person, I find myself turning to a prayer I learned in high school but never really appreciated the beauty of. Whether you decide to put the "God" in front of it or not, these words are very powerful:


[God], grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

- Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments: